After all the eating while on holiday, you might just find yourself seriously constipated. Well, not only constipated. Women are also more often affected by colorectal disorders and cancers, related to constipation. There are several reasons behind this anomaly. Eat foods that relieve constipation like this amazing Chickpea and Greens Curry with Black and White Quinoa.
Women are exposed to more stress than men over family responsibilities, hormonal modulations, and societal pressures and expectations. Unfortunately, mental stress contributes to constipation just as bad as physiological factors. Therefore, we must work harder at keeping our bowels moving. Stress less with Yoga! Eat more of this yummy detox recipe!
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 and 1/2 cups canned or (cooked dried chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- Sea salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 4 cups bitter greens (I used kale and lambs quarters), cut into 1/2 inch ribbons
- 1/4 cup chopped herbs (cilantro works great if you have it)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (I used 2/3 white and 1/3 black)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water and tumeric to a boil. Add chickpeas and a pinch of salt and simmer for 5 minutes. Tuen off heat and set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onion, stirring until softened, about 4 minutes. Add pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, and ginger and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes more. Stir in all the greens and chicpea mixture and cook until greens are just wilted. Season with salt. Remove from heat and mix in chopped herbs.
Divide quinoa among four bowls and top with vegetable curry and toasted seeds.
Love it? Share it!